Monday, October 02, 2006

Pat on the back ...

Yesterday was 1 October, the start of my alcohol-free month. I suppose it helped that I was so tired from the gig I went to on Saturday night I spent most of the day asleep ... but in the afternoon I had an hour's on-line chat with fans who weren't at the gig and wanted to know how it went, and in evening I had 3 hours in front of the television (which is almost unheard of these days) and that was when I fancied a drink. The character in the drama I was watching was one of these hard-drinking maverick types and watching him pour a large glass of whisky made me think rather wistfully of the bottle of Bacardi I had in the cupboard. But I reminded myself why I was giving up, I reminded myself that I'd made a promise - just to myself, no-one else - and the bottle stayed where it was and I stuck to soft drinks.

When I got home from the gig and finally got to bed I had a bit of a nightmare. I dreamed that I was in the kitchen and there was a half-finished glass of wine on the counter and I automatically picked it up and drank it, and then I thought (in my dream), 'Damn! I wasn't going to drink this month! Oh well, I've failed.' And in my dream I poured another glass of wine. During the day yesterday I felt really disappointed in myself for having taken a drink and then remembered that it had only been a dream and actually I hadn't had a drink at all! So although today is only 1.30pm on day 2, I'm feeling pretty good .... despite finding something unspeakable in my pizza in the office canteen ... I don't feel like putting anything into my mouth in this place ever again so what with the calories I'm going to save on alcohol and no longer eating in the canteen maybe I'll regain some of the shape I've lost ...

On the whole, a lot to look forward to!

No comments: