Wednesday, September 06, 2006

On track ...

I applied the 'double D' approach to my glass of wine last night - Delay and Distract. I had a bad day at work (not unusual) and the housework was stacking up at home and I'd been thinking how nice it would be to have a glass of wine when I got in. I know from experience that a glass of wine as soon as I get in leads to an empty bottle by bedtime, so instead of going straight home I popped in on my sister-in-law for half an hour and very virtuously refused a glass of wine there. When I got home I thought, 'Never mind the housework, I've had a bad day, this is me time.' So I opened up the patio doors to the back garden, sat down and put my feet up, and read my book. Usually a glass of wine accompanies book reading (and anything else I do) but I decided that I couldn't really enjoy both at once, so I just read until 8 o'clock, then I poured myself a glass of wine and watched Holby City. I really enjoyed the glass of wine, and it lasted the hour of the show. After that, I went back to my book (with another glass of wine, I must admit) and finished it - the book, that is, not the bottle!

I didn't get off to sleep very easily. I think that's one of the things I like about alcohol, the way it helps me sleep by relaxing my brain - or rather, numbing my thought processes. But anyway, despite not sleeping brilliantly I woke up on time, feeling fine (no headache!) and happy to know that I have stayed within my self-imposed limit of 21 units so far this week ... So far this week I've had 15, so I have 6 units left to go before Friday night. I don't have to drink those 6, but I know I will. I wonder if that's because I told myself at the beginning of the week that I would allow myself 21 units. Maybe, when I get used to 21 units I'll tell myself that I'll only have 14 - and see if I listen to myself!

No comments: