Friday, September 22, 2006

Girls' night out

I'm going to another concert tonight. I spoke to the friend I'm going with (NOT the same one as last week's concert - that would just be too much, my ears are still ringing from her 31-hour chat marathon!) on the phone and she said her husband would drop us off and collect us so that we could both have a drink. That was a very kind offer, but I said no. I said I would do the driving because I wasn't going to be drinking anyway. My friend tried to insist (she's worried about her own drinking, I know) but I was even more insistent, so I shall be driving and, as I don't take risks behind the wheel, I shall definitely not be drinking.

It is something of a relief to have made that decision early on in the day. It means I don't have to bother with thinking about things like, 'Shall I have a drink with lunch?' If I'd accepted the offer of a lift there and back from my friend's husband I'd probably have had a drink with lunch and several more in the afternoon (I've got the day off from work today) so by making the choice I did early on, I have effectively given myself a free day - free from getting tipsy and sleepy and wasting away my precious day off work.

Tomorrow is going to be difficult - a very very boozy friend's birthday - but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Today I shall just enjoy today.

No comments: