Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Help in unexpected places

One of my problems is admitting to others that I am not perfectly strong and capable. Yesterday I did. At the end of my tether, I emailed a friend who never listens, who never asks how I am, who's idea of support is, 'Well, if it's any consolation, I've had a rotten day, too.' She may as well say, 'Shut up, we all have problems.'

Anyway, not expecting anything supportive in return but, needing to get it out of my system, I emailed this friend. What I got in return was a kind, thoughtful and supportive reply, and an offer to help me financially if I felt I really couldn't stand the job and needed to walk away.

Just knowing that someone - someone quite unexpected - cares enough to make that offer of support, and mean it, makes me feel less alone, less helpless and, although I did have a couple of drinks after my horrible day at work, I didn't need to drink myself into oblivion.

Help is there, sometimes you don't even have to ask, you just need to be honest enough to allow people see you need it ...

No comments: